How To Choose The Perfect Room Colors Every Time!
Are you up in the air about what room colors to choose? If you're ready to choose your color scheme but not quite sure which paint colors would be best for you? Here's how I, your decorating diva:) chooses...
Different Colors For Different Rooms
I decide on which colors to use in a room based on the rooms purpose...
• Green, blue and purple work best in areas where you wish to relax, such as the bedroom, bathroom, or home office.
• Warm tones tend to work well where you will be engaging in conversation and interacting with others, such as a family room or a dining room where you gather with friends and family for special occasions.
• Red is the most used wall color for a dining room. Because of its high energy, it's said to encourage appetite and conversation.
The kitchen is often a very lively room, a gathering place with lots of activity so I always opt for a bright, lively shade in this area such as yellow or red. Photo courtesy: Houzz.com
My rule of thumb for choosing a kitchen color is to choose colors that foods have. There aren't many blue foods. It's been documented that food eaten on a blue plate is less appetizing.
I like to use a balance of warm and cool tones in my room color schemes.
Photo courtesy: Houzz.com
• Yellow: rejuvenating, energizing, uplifting, certain hues can create tension
• Red: Stimulating to the senses, arousing
• Blue: calming, relaxing, ethereal
• Green: Stabilizing, soothing,healing,relaxing, easiest on the eyes
• Orange: cheery, social, energizing, can create nervousness
• Purple: Comforting, safe, majestic, refined
• White: A cool color,clean, sterile, crisp, fresh.
• Black: A warm color, grounding,adds presence and weight, symbolizes strength and dominance.
• Neutrals: Black,white,gray,Brown. Can be used by themselves to create an all neutral scheme. I usually always add color through accessories and art to keep the room from being too boring or add them to create depth. Black is great to ground a room. Photo courtesy: The Lennox.com
It's a trick I use for my clients all the time:
To choose a wall color the easy way, pull a color from an accessory or fabric you're using in the room...
like a rug, pillow,drapery pattern, bedding, or artwork. A great idea especially if you're worried about matching.
Many people choose their wall colors first, then they purchase the furnishings to match the room...
That's what I did for Brenda since she had already painted her room color...
But I think it's so much easier to start with something you love and build off that.
How to Make A Room Feel Larger Or Smaller
• If you want your space to feel cozy and intimate, paint it a warm color...
• If your space is really large and you want it to feel more intimate, choose a warm room color.
• If you want the space to feel larger, cool room color schemes create a feeling of airiness, and relaxation.
Another way to choose a color that's pretty much fool proof...
Paint Color Cheat Sheets I've heard Rave Reviews!! A "paint specialist" has taken the guesswork out of choosing the best paint color for your rooms.
Click on the link to learn more! Sounds to me like a sweet way to save time and money. Even I sometimes have to paint a room two or sometimes three times before I get the tone or shade right! Hey, I know blue is relaxing for a bedroom. I think I've chosen the perfect shade-not too baby blueish, buy the gallon, paint one wall(TWICE) to really get the full effect! and I hate it! It's too muddy, or bright...
That's why I'm sooo excited about this new product and can't wait to try it! Learn more about Paint Color Cheat Sheets HERE
If you've used this product already please, please, please let me know the results so I can pass them on to my visitors! You can use my forum Let's Talk Decorating! or send me a personal note at Contact Me
Here are some great articles on choosing room color... Go to my Design Insight page
Any questions or comments? Ask the Forum
For more detailed info and some more great tips on choosing a color scheme hop over to http://www.dreamhomedecorating.com/room-color-schemes.html Then,
come back here and I'll help you set up your room's design plan...
Your Personal Online Decorating Consultation. Don't Waste Another Minute! Check it out now! Just Click On The Picture Above.
Pantone's Top Ten colors for Spring 2011
Pantone LLC is the world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems and leading technology for the selection and accurate communication of color across a variety of industries. The PANTONE® Name is known worldwide as the standard language for color communication from designer to manufacturer to retailer to customer.
These are the top colors for spring 2011
HONEYSUCKLE PANTONE 18-2120- a feel-good flirtatious, playful color.
REGATTA PANTONE 18-4039- has a cooling calming appeal
CORAL ROSE PANTONE 16-1349-Bright, exotic, springlike, eye-opening.
BEESWAX PANTONE 14-0941-a beautiful yellow that makes you think of honey.
PEAPOD PANTONE 14-6324-green works well as a neutral, signifies new beginning and spring time.
BLUE CURACAO PANTONE 15-4825- A close neighbor to turquoise,a color people really respond to.
RUSSET PANTONE 18-1235-has a slightly peachy tone, works well with different skin tones.
SILVER PEONY PANTONE 12-1206-Ethereal and peachy, romantic LAVENDER PANTONE 15-3817-Purple is the most creative color, artistic.
LAVENDER PANTONE 15-3817-Artistic and creative
SILVER CLOUD PANTONE 15-4502-a quintessential classic neutral that is practical, dependable and works well used as a background color too.
For more information visit Pantone at myPantone.com
New! CommentsHave your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.